Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Magic Timer


This may look like an ordinary kitchen timer to you, but its a magical toddler temper controller to me. Landon has had some difficulty at home lately with switching activities - I can't change his diaper, turn off the tv, fix a meal or ask him to sit at the table without a full nuclear melt down. I remembered a speaker from MOPS last year telling us that toddlers like to know what is coming up next. And she suggested using a simple kitchen timer to help, when the bell dings they know its time to go to the next activity. For example:

Me: Landon, in 5 minutes we're going to change your diaper. I'm setting the timer. You listen for the bell and when it rings, we're going to change you.

Landon: It's makin' noise. (referring to the ticking, which is still exciting to him)

Bell Dings

Landon: Whoa! Bell! Diaper! (And then he runs to the bathroom)

Its also great with timeouts. I set the timer for one minute and a soon as he hears it ticking he settles down, sits down on his spot and doesn't move until the bell dings. I don't have to stand over him and he's not crying the entire time.

The timer is seriously magic...I just hope it stays that way. If anyone has other simple suggestions of how to avoid tantrums, I would love to hear them! We are in full toddler mode!

4 comments:

Aunt Pants said...

Good thing your little sister is going back to school to become a behavior therapist. We'll talk.

Tera and Evan said...

Tantrums from my sweet little boyfriend...I don't believe it! :)

But I'm glad the timer is working!

JoAnna Bruce said...

A timer, huh? That sounds like a great idea. We only had a few meltdowns but what I hear is to ignore them - but them in time-out in an extra crib that they don't sleep in (Pack-n-play) and then once they calm down talk to them again. Whatever you do, don't give in! It teaches them to have another tantrum the next time. This is just what the dr tells me - I don't know if this actually works!

Tiana said...

i might have to make another run to the store for this... sounds better than just putting him in timeout and standing there!